The new Masonic Hotel in Duke Street, Cambridge was officially opened 23 October 1912. It was built in brick and described as a very commodious and up to date building. It compared more than favorably with any licensed house in the Auckland province.
‘The entrance hall is wide and roomy with a handsome staircase leading to the upper storey. Effective diffused light is afforded by handsome stain glassed windows overhead. Upstairs is the drawing room, most artistically and daintily furnished, whilst a cosy lounge leads out onto a balcony.
‘The dining room with kitchen is situated on the ground floor at the east end of the building and is capable of seating sixty persons. Adjacent is the commercial room and a reception room. A large public bar forms the west end of the building with a cosy private bar, a large clubrooms also being near at hand.’
‘As a structure, the house is eminent testimony of thorough workmanship carried out by the builder, Mr Fred Potts.’